make a lasting impression as an eco-friendly brand

11847308_s-1

Let’s face it. The greenwashing of companies is diluting the messages of businesses that are very aware of the depth of issues facing the planet. Many mainstream brands slap on a label that states they recycle a small percentage of the packaging, then they exploit that in advertising. Yet, these same corporations are known for doing business as usual despite adding this somewhat meaningless label. Unfortunately, some consumers don’t know the difference. Fortunately, many do, and you can make them all understand that your brand is the real deal!

Simple is Stronger

In a culture where people are often confused by what exactly sustainable business practices are, discern which few messages are most important for you to get across. Emphasize what you do best and what your company is putting the most work into establishing as sustainable business practices. Convey that messages succinctly and simply for the greatest impact. People remember what is simply, repeatedly explained in advertisements.

Inspire Fun

Climate change is a really heavy topic. The fact that the choices that human beings have made can be catastrophic is an awful thing to consider. However, you can still talk about heavy issues if you bring a sense of fun to the table. Of course, there is no way to sugar coat bad news. So bring up things that are doable that have a big impact.

It’s just human nature to want to be a part of something bigger than oneself. Bring up how a few easy, fun choices that people make can enable them to become a part of the environmental movement. Think about how you can put a fun spin on your company’s eco-conscious priorities. When you convey that to consumers, you create a win-win situation.

Target a Niche Audience

Depending on what your long-term goals are for your company, you may find that you have the biggest chances of lasting success if you target a smaller group of loyal customers, rather than a larger group of customers who may just come across your brand randomly. Look at which groups would most appreciate the sustainable practices that you have prioritized.

For example, you may target health conscious shoppers if you are selling an eco-friendly, natural food brand. Health food shoppers now go to specialty shops as well as mainstream grocery stores. By optimizing your advertising campaigns and food packages to emphasize all the ways that your food product can be good for someone, you will draw attention to your food.

When a potential customer is repeatedly exposed to this message that is of particular interest to him, he will develop positive brand recognition and be more likely to buy your items now and in the future. The power of niche marketing has been shown to increase sales and inspire brand loyalty.

Posit Positivity

Try to avoid talking about greenwashing in your ads or otherwise negatively speaking about other people or companies. Trash talking not only makes politicians look bad, it does the same thing for businesses. People gravitate towards the positive. So be sure that you are putting your best face forward in your advertisements. While you may have many negative things to say that are, in fact, true and backed up with statistics, many people will come away from an uncomfortable ad with a less favorable opinion of your company, even if everything you say is right.

Instead, go the opposite route. Leave out the competition. Talk about the happy things that are true. Look at this way. If there is a 20 percent chance of a local situation being irreversibly damaged, accentuate the fact that there is an 80 percent chance that we can still change things for the better. By a simple turn of phrase, you can empower people to make positive changes in their lives and be more loyal to your company.

randy bowden –  t  | f | in | g+

(image:123RF)

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “make a lasting impression as an eco-friendly brand

  1. Fantastic article, Randy! Working with an eco-friendly brand is a challenge because as a marketer I need to know certain things, like is this specific product organic, before I can create my marketing program and taglines.

    Greenwashing is definitely an issue.

    • Thanks Peg, I am finding so much misinformation out there in my research on “sustainability.” I just finished my next Friday article on getting back to the real “cause,” it is the issue. I am happy you found this informative and appreciate the read and comment…rcb

  2. great info, Randy! I’m also working with an eco-friendly brand and learning some of the same things you mentioned in this post. it’s amazing how many brands slap on that label without any depth or context behind the label. being truly meaningful in a world with a lot of meaningless hype can certainly pose a challenge. the good news is that the meaningfulness of the brand has the opportunity to resonate even more so when the strategy is executed right. thank you for sharing your thoughts!

    • It has been an interesting subject to research and not surprising that brands have capitalized on it without little effort of real buy-in. Once it becomes mainstream then there will be a shift. We (US) are just to comfortable with our excessive nature.

  3. Pingback: Make a lasting impression as an eco-friendly brand | Blog Off The Wall

  4. Pingback: The Good Green Roundup {1/3/2014} » Irresistibly Green

Please Comment:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s