While content marketing is taking over the marketing budgets of everyone from international brands, to small mom and pop local businesses, some still struggle with producing editorial content. The days of purchasing pop up ads and banner ads are gone. Now in order to get the attention of potential customers, you have to rethink your marketing strategy. The brands and businesses that realize that their marketing efforts should turn them into a news source are the ones who are reaping the benefits of the internet. If the thought of expending a lot of money on content creation makes you gulp, consider this information.
Content is the way of the internet
Not only do you have to make content, it has to be useful to your customers. That means distributing content that doesn’t contain a commercial message. Editorial articles can actually have a larger influence over customers than a display ad. In fact, only 15% of people trust what they see in a display ad, while 70% of people trust articles they read from a brand. That is not to say that there are no upsides to display ads. Consider this information:
- Display ads can be effective at increasing awareness of your brand, even if the amount that your customers can engage with them is limited.
- If display ads are a part of a contextual marketing campaign then they can help the overall brand push.
- While the cost of making them is a relatively low-cost, the click-through rates are .1 percent on average, and you still have to outbid competitors.
Now that you have the pros and cons of the more traditional digital advertising techniques, consider this information about the production and distribution of editorial content:
- It is highly cost-efficient that allows you to offer a broader range of messaging options.
- You can cover a range of topics and inform consumers.
- Readers of editorial content will spend many minutes on the article, and even stay to read more about what you have to say. In fact according to this go-gulf infographic, 20% of time on the web is spent reading content.
- You can easily distribute your content through some large article marketing channels.
The shareability of this content is expressed in the amount of care and information that you pack into it. People like to feel as if they are in the know. If your content is informational to them, they will gladly share it along with your brand.
Data is important
The content that you share is an important way to gather important data about the people who come to your site and where they are in the buying cycle. Following the path of customers who reach your page via editorial content can show you who your target audience is, and what information is important to them. Paying to syndicate your articles, video, and infographics across discovery engines can help you collect important behavioral data and target future marketing messages.
The information that you gather can even be used in crafting a compelling and effective display ad.
More brands are increasing the amount that they are investing in content marketing. Instead of seeing it as an unnecessary expense, reframe your thinking and realize that it is the most effective ad unit out there right now. Just making this small change can yield large dividends for your brand.