A buzzword in online marketing today is transparency. It means the more you reveal about yourself to your prospects, the more they will bond with and hopefully buy from you.
Transparency is contrary to the classic copywriting rule; the reader isn’t interested in you. The reader is interested in their needs, fears, concerns, problems, and desires.
Transparency represents a paradigm shift of the prospect’s attention from them to you, the marketer.
I have trouble believing anyone cares much about what I do, like, or think. (Of course, I am more boring than Howard and Mickey.)
But in case I am wrong, and transparency is what you crave, here are a few things about me I probably haven’t told you before:
- I am a bit over 50 and believes that my creative juice and passion for what I do flows from the child that survived inside me.
- I grew up in a newspaper family, I guess a little of the ink got on me but I always preferred advertising and the money-making side!
- I am ignited by the new digital world and the awesome new platforms that allow the speed of information that exist today.
- I am a commercial junkie, nature of the beast; just love to watch, share and analyze them. Funny how most big budgets are spent on crap!
- I am not afraid to admit that I have made many bad decisions but all were made with good intentions. Hopefully my past has made me a better person but I am certain I will make a few more.
- I also admit that I do not fully buy into the politically correct nature of the day. I think George Carlin was correct, too much soft language!
- The Internet has eroded my attention span like it has everyone else’s, but I am still an avid reader and media consumer. I just have fewer “old style” books and magazines.
- While I read widely on a variety of topics, I mostly consume marketing and advertising material trying to keep up with the flow and it is flowing! BTW, I also read and study my other hobby, see next:
- A hobby, aside from marketing, is hunting. Yes this means I do kill animals, an inherited trait from my Grandfather. This passion still burns strong in me but I emphasize the word “hunting,” which I mainly find myself doing instead of killing!
- I studied business and marketing and I am a bit entrepreneurial. Another trait I guess which came from my Grandfather who never worked for anyone!
- I am married to Shalah who is an exciting life partner as well as engaging business partner (I hope she never changes her mind about me). I have a grown daughter, Jessica who resides in Florida.
One last thing, I often dream of a better world, one that where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!
So there is a glimpse of me and if you do not see what you may be looking for, I invite you to look online, I am sure it is there! Now, is this list as boring to you as it is to me?