Social branding (aka personal branding) is a “must” for anyone engaging in business in the 2.0 world! And if you have been living under a rock with that GEICO guy, you need to know that Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn an Google+ are the main channels for you to gain the biggest brand identity. Take time to understand and learn how to make them all work together. Maintaining a constant presence on each of these networks will contribute to a positive image of your social brand that you are trying to build.
Just take a look at a few of the statistics associated with each…
Facebook is the mother-load of all, a social networking service and website that launched in February 2004!
- More than 900 million active users
- 72% of the US web audience is on facebook
- 70% of local businesses use facebook marketing
- People “Like” their favorite brands
- Average 405 minutes per visitor on facebook
It may be one of the most confusing, but Twitter, launched in March of 2006 is the most important channel in finding and communicating with your target audience. Start taking advantage of the power of the tweet.
- Micro-blogging service that enables its users to send and read text-based posts of up to 140 characters
- 140 million active users
- 300 million tweets and handling 1.6 billion search queries per day
- 6 million unique monthly visitors and 55 million monthly visits
- 42% use twitter to learn about products and services
LinkedIn is a business-related social networking site, launched in May 2003, it is mainly used for professional networking. Discover the professional power of LinkedIn as both a B2B and B2C tool!
- The worlds largest professional network
- Executives from every Fortune 500 Company are using LinkedIn
- 150 million active users
- 34 million unique monthly visitors
- More the 2 million company pages
Google+ is a social networking and identity service operated by Google Inc. Launched in September of 2011 Google+ is able to harness all of the Google products into this rapidly growing service.
- 170 million active users
- import all contacts from other services
- maintain up to 1GB of storage
- a variety of contact and engagements vehicles such as “hangouts” and target audiences with “circles”
- Google+ surpassed 49 million visitors during a one-month period
- Google+ Pages for organizations, companies, and publications
Once you have begun to establish yourself, you will want some kind of measure of how you are doing. Klout is on top with giving you the current pulse of your brand. Klout is a company that provides social media analytics to measure a user’s influence across his or her social network. The analysis is done on data taken from sites such as Facebook, Twitter and Google+ and measures the size of a person’s network, the content created, and how other people interact with that content. The company has been subject to substantial criticism, both for its business model and its operating principle. Several objections to Klout’s methodology have been raised regarding both the process by which scores are generated and the overall societal effect, but it is still considered to be the #1 in measure!
Having a nice tidy place on the web to locate all your own sites is a handy tool. The product, about.me, is a personal web hosting service that launched in October 2009. The site offers users a simple platform from which to link multiple online identities, relevant external sites, and popular social networking websites such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Flickr, YouTube, Tumblr and all others. It is characterized by its one-page user profiles, each with a large, often-artistic background image and abbreviated biography. A nice site that makes it easy for someone to find all your connections. Here are examples that bowden2bowden maintain and use:
On a final note, maintaining and keeping up-to-date on all of your platforms is vital. The tweet or post are short lived and your activity will dictate your brand power. In my opinion, it would be better to deactivate the account if you are not engaging because if it is there, it will be found, and it will reflect on you!